State Capitol Building Dedicated on Jan. 1, 1879

On January 1, 1879, a magnificent new Capitol was dedicated to the people of Michigan. Speaking at its dedication, Governor Croswell noted that the structure stood as “evidence of the lasting taste, spirit and enterprise” of the citizens of the state. In November 1992, more than 113 years later, another celebration took place, marking both the successful conclusion of the Capitol’s restoration and its rededication to at least another 100 years of service to Michigan.